Ruth S. Ammon College of Education and Health Sciences
The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders in the Ruth S. Ammon College of Education and Health Sciences invites applications for one nine-month, tenure- track appointment at the Assistant Professor level for Spring 2024. The role involves teaching undergraduate, graduate and/or doctoral courses, directing theses, and engaging in service-related activities. Teaching assignments are dependent on departmental needs and faculty expertise.
The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders offers a vibrant and diverse clinical and research environment in which academic and clinical faculty are dedicated to providing students with the highest level of professional training in the classroom and within its own Hy Weinberg Center for Communication Disorders, as well as in the New York metropolitan community. The Department offers degrees at the bachelors, masters, and doctoral levels. Adelphi University and the Department are deeply committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity and welcome applications from all backgrounds.
The School of Health Sciences, formed in 2018, represents a recent strategic emphasis by Adelphi University to enhance and expand its academic offerings in the health sciences. As a dedicated Major Initiative (Goal 1:4) in Adelphi’s current Momentum2 Strategic Plan (https://www.adelphi.edu/strategic-plan/), the College, School, and its Departments are poised to develop and implement a strong vision and action plan for the future. It is an exciting time to join Adelphi and the Ruth S. Ammon College of Education and Health Sciences.
In compliance with New York’s Pay Transparency Act, the annual base salary range for this position is $76,000 – $78,000. Adelphi University considers factors such as departmental budgets, scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and organizational considerations when extending an offer. The above hiring range represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
Adelphi University provides a comprehensive benefit package for faculty and staff employees. For a list of benefits provided to employees, please click here.
- Teach graduate courses in speech-language pathology with opportunities to teach undergraduate and doctoral coursework according to departmental needs.
- Academic advisement of undergraduate and graduate students.
- Promote a research culture in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders by maintaining an active research agenda.
- Active participation in school, college, university and professional committees.
- Opportunities to supervise students in the Hy Weinberg Center for Communication Disorders and/or doctoral research projects and theses.
- Work and communicate effectively with administrators, faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Earned doctorate (Ph.D/Ed.D) in speech-language pathology or closely-related discipline is required.
- Applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered, but the doctorate must be awarded by the date of appointment.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas is preferred: dysphagia, fluency, autism spectrum disorders, childhood speech disorders, and research methodology.
- Record of teaching experience and evidence of scholarly work.
- Bi/Multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
- A Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) from the American Speech- Language Hearing Association (ASHA) and eligibility for New York State licensure is desirable.
- Applicants should submit a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, a statement of research interests, copies of representative publications, a statement of their teaching philosophy, and any evidence of successful teaching, particularly involving students from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- T apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/4729374
- Review of applications will begin upon receipt of application with the search continuing until the position is filled. Anticipated starting date is January, 2024.
ABOUT ADELPHI UNIVERSITY:
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 7,250 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students 79 undergraduate programs, more than 84 master’s degree and doctoral programs, and 63 certificate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 119,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 43 states and 72 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
The Ruth S. Ammon College of Education and Health Science at Adelphi University, home to the department of Health and Sport Sciences is one of the paramount institutions in the preparation of practitioners and leaders in education and allied human service fields. The Department is committed to creating an accessible, supportive environment and an educational experience that recognizes diversity and cultural competence as integral components of academic excellence. For further information about the college and the department, go to https://www.adelphi.edu/education/.